Get off the beaten tracks and enjoy 4×4 adventures in Romania. You will explore the Carpathians Mountains and discover spectacular lakes, rivers, canyons and authentic villages where time has stood still. Enjoy a coffee break in the mountains with breathtaking views and experience the traditional way of life in the countryside. You will have fascinating off road and nature experience!
Departure from Brasov and Arrival in Arieseni – 1.200 km
*The tour can be made on reverse upon your request.
Start your 4×4 adventures from Brasov and enjoy a challenging off road trip to Diham Cottage. On our way, we cross gorgeous landscapes with magnificent views over the Bucegi Mountains. After that, you will explore off road Poiana Marului area, a fairytale place with breathtaking views. Moreover, enjoy a coffee break in front of the amazing landscapes.
Overnight in Poiana Marului area.
Day 2 Traditional Villages – Bran Castle – Fundatica – Vidraru Dam (180 km, 40% off road)
Drive to Zarnesti and take a breath of fresh mountain air while walking through Canyon of Zarnesti, the scenery of “Cold Mountain” movie. Further, you`ll travel off road through the rolling hills of Magura and Pestera authentic villages. After that, you`ll visit the famous Bran (Dracula’s) Castle, also known as the home of Dracula`s spirit. While driving through stunning landscapes of the Bran Pass, reach the highest traditional village from Romania, Fundatica. From there, we will drive through Bradetu canyon to get to Vidraru Dam, a huge construction made in 1966 by the communist regime.
Overnight in 4 * hotel , close by Vidraru Dam.
In the morning we drive on Transfagarasan route while enjoying amazing views over Fagaras Mountains. The Top Gear team stated Transfagarasan road” the best road in the world”. We stop at Balea Lake, a natural glacier lake at 2040 m. From the top of the ridge we will discover beautiful sceneries of the mountains surrounding us. Crossing the Fagaras Mountains into Transylvania, we will arrive at Sighisoara. Enjoy a walking tour of medieval citadel, an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Also, the town is the place of birth of Vlad Impaler (Dracula).
Overnight in Sighisoara.
We leave the medieval town and continue 4×4 adventures into amazing Transylvania. We drive towards Turda to visit the salt mine, unique in Europe. Here, you`ll discover an incredible underground park. Further on, you will head to Scarita Belioara, fascinating Geo-Botanical Reserve. We arrive in the evening in the Baisorii Mountains area, where we will stay overnight. We end the day with a delicious traditional dinner.
Overnight in Baisorii Mountains area.
Today, you will drive off road into the Apuseni Mountains, the underground world of caves. Numerous rivers have cut spectacular canyons and created more than 7000 caves. Therefore, you will discover amazing views of the green mountains, colorful open meadows and gorges. Further on, we drive towards Scarisoara Ice Cave, the second biggest underground glacier in south-eastern Europe. Then, the guide will take you to admire the Coiba Mare Cave, before reaching the largest underwater cave in Romania, Izbucul Tauz. Finish the 4×4 adventures for today with overnight rest in Arieseni.
Day 6: Arieseni – Galbena Passes – Bears`Cave – Arieseni (160 km, 80% off road)
Start the day by exploring the magnificent Galbena Passes, the largest and wildest canyon in the Apuseni Mountains. Then, you`ll visit one of the best equipped karstic formations in the Europe, Bears` Cave which hosts large quantities of bones of cave bears, disappeared 15.000 years ago. Further on, continue the scenic drive to Cetatile Ponorului and be ready for breathtaking views of this mountain road.The guide will lead the way to the best viewpoints, with opportunity to hike and explore the spectacular landscape. After that, your 4×4 adventures concludes with overnight rest in Arieseni.
Thank you for visiting Romania!
* Programs can be modified depending on the weather conditions and tours are customized on request.
**we can add optional adrenaline activities like zip-line, MTB, ATV, hiking, paragliding, etc
- Bran (Dracula`s) Castle is considered to be among the 10 most beautiful medieval castles in the world. Its history of over 600 years carries the famous legend of Vlad the Impaler (Vlad Tepes). The castle was built by the inhabitants of Brasov in the 14th century for militarily strategic role, in order to protect the mountains pass from the invading Turks. Later, the castle became a customs post on the Bran pass between Transylvania and Wallachia.
- Brasov is a commercial and handicraft center of Transylvania since the fourth century, a museum-city of tourist interest. Here, you can visit the Old Downtown of the city with medieval burg aspect, Black Church and the oldest school with teaching in Romanian
- Canyon of Zarnesti- located near the city of Zarnesti, the canyon is a spectacular road into the hearth of Piatra Craiului mountain range. The spectacular road with massive rock walls on the both size with height up to 200 meters offers amazing views. It`s an easy way, without level differences, you meet no cars and other source of noise. In this canyon, scenes of “Cold Mountain” were filmed, a movie with Nicole Kidman and Jude Law, awarded with seven Oscars.
- Sighisoara is the most famous inhabited medieval citadel in southeastern Europe. Included in the UNESCO world heritage, the fortress-city hosts dozens of architectural ensembles of Gothic – rural, Renaissance and Baroque styles.
- Turda Salt Mine , first mentioned in the history at the beginning of the 11th century (UNESCO). The salt mine, unque in Europe, was used for everything from a cheese storage center to a bomb shelter in WWII after excavations stopped in 1932. Today, it has been transformed into an incredible underground theme park.
- Transfagarasan Road is the second-highest paved road in Romania (situated at an altitude of 2055 meters above sea level) with amazing scenery over the Fagaras Mountains. The road was built as a strategic military route and runs North to South across the highest mountains of Romania. The Top Gear team stated Transfagarasan road” the best road in the world”.
- Izbucul Tauz , the natural reserve declared a natural monument is the largest underwater cave in Romania,with a depth of over 100 meters. It is situated in Garda de Sus village, near the Glacier of Scarisoara.
- Scarisoara Ice Cave houses the second biggest underground glacier in south-eastern Europe
- Bears` Cave was discovered in 1975 during a dynamite made from marble quarry in the area. Bears’ Cave is located the western Apuseni Mountains and received its name after the 140 cave bear skeletons which were discovered on the site in 1983. The cave bear, also known as Ursus spelaeus, is a species of bear which became extinct during the Last Glacial Maximum, about 27,500 years ago. Due to the loss of a rock cave was blocked and more than 140 bears were trapped inside.
Start – End days of the tour:
5 – 10 July, 2020 Registration is open! Please contact us for booking!
2 – 7 August, 2020 Registration is open! Please contact us for booking!
The price is 900 Euro / person for entire tour, that means 150 Euro / person /day.
- Minimum number of persons in one tour is 6.
- Minimum number of vehicles is 2 and maximum 8.
- If you are a small group of minimum 6 persons, can ask to change the tour dates according to our availability
- We can offer also option to rent Nissan Patrols or similar from our company for this tour. Ask for price.
- Deposit is 300 Euro for booking and rest within 30 days before departure date.
- We reserve the right to cancel the tour with 30 days before departure date if there are not registered minimum 6 persons and 2 vehicles. In this case, the deposit will be refund.
The price includes:
- Tourists assistance services by Romanian Local English guide travelling in a leading support 4×4 vehicle
- Accommodations in double twin rooms in very nice 3/4* pensions/hotels in the mountains for 5 nights.
- 5 breakfasts
- Professional Icom radio communication between the vehicles
- Towing and Recovery Equipment
- All fuel and other expenses for the guide vehicle
- All meals for the “4×4 Tours” guide
The price does not include:
- Costs for traveling to/from meeting point – Romania
- Individual fuel and toll costs for every 4×4 vehicle
- The single room supplement is 135 EUR per person / 5 nights
- Other individual expenses and alcoholic drinks
- Travel insurance specific for the off-road and adventure tourism
- Other optional fees not mentioned in the program
Your vehicle for Transylvania tour should include:
- Good AT or MT tires for off road routes
- A shovel; a compact axe, and a saw
- One or more dynamic ropes for recovery
You should also consider:
- We expect you to arrive with a vehicle in good technical condition, which can endure a week of demanding off-roading.
- Winch (may speed up recovery in case of problems)
- A moderate lift – at least 2″
- Protective sheets over your paint (if you mind scratching)
- Vehicles with low gear are mandatory for this 4×4 adventure tour in Romania
For other detailed information do not hesitate to contact us.