Get off the beaten tracks and enjoy 4×4 adventures tour in Romania. You will explore the Carpathians Mountains and discover spectacular lakes, rivers, canyons and authentic villages where time has stood still. Enjoy a coffee break in the mountains with breathtaking views and experience the traditional way of life in the countryside. You will have fascinating off road and nature experience!
During the tour accommodation can be 4 *pensions in the mountains or wild camping.
Departure from Brasov and Arrival in Arieseni – 1.200 km
*The tour can be made on reverse upon your request.
We start the 4×4 adventures tour from Brasov and hit Rentea Peak with great view of Brasov from above. After crossing nice forests driving to Azuga Valley, we take the challenging off road trip to Diham Cottage with amazing view of Bucegi Mountains Ridge. In the afternoon, we will explore off road Poiana Marului area, a fairytale place with spectacular landscapes.
Overnight in Poiana Marului area.
Day 2 Traditional Villages – Bran Castle – Fagaras Mountains (180 km, 40% off road)
Drive to Zarnesti and take a breath of fresh mountain air while walking through Canyon of Zarnesti, the scenery of “Cold Mountain” movie. Next, you will travel off road through the rolling hills of Magura and Pestera villages and experience the traditional way of life while visiting a local guest house. You will visit the famous Bran (Dracula’s) Castle, also known as the home of Dracula`s spirit. While driving through stunning landscapes of the Bran Pass, reach the highest traditional village from Romania, Fundatica. Get ready for another amazing 4×4 trip crossing beautiful landscapes of Fagaras mountains to get into Bradetu canyon.
Overnight in the Fagaras Mountains area
Today you will have the most exciting drive on Transfagarasan route while enjoying amazing views over Fagaras Mountains. The Top Gear team stated Transfagarasan road” the best road in the world”. You will see Balea Lake, a natural glacier lake at 2040 m and Balea Waterfalls, one of the most beautiful waterfall in Romania. Arrive in Sighisoara and enjoy a walking tour of medieval citadel, an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Overnight in Sighisoara.
Continue 4×4 adventures tours into amazing Transylvania,home of more than 150 fortified churches. You will visit the fabulous salt mine of Turda, unique in Europe where you`ll discover an incredible underground park. From here you will head to Scarita Belioara, fascinating Geo-Botanical Reserve. End the day with a campfire and overnight in Baisorii Mountains area.
After breakfast, we will drive off road into the Apuseni Mountains, the underground world of caves. You will discover amazing views of the green mountains, colorful open meadows and gorges. Numerous rivers have cut spectacular canyons and created more than 7000 caves. Your guide will take you to admire the Coiba Mare Cave, before reaching the largest underwater cave in Romania, Izbucul Tauz. We will finish the 4×4 adventures for today with overnight rest in Albac.
Start the day by exploring the magnificent Galbena Passes, the largest and wildest canyon in the Apuseni Mountains. Next, you`ll visit one of the best equipped karstic formations in the Europe, Bears` Cave which hosts large quantities of bones of cave bears, disappeared 15.000 years ago. Continue the scenic drive to Cetatile Ponorului and be prepared for absolutely breathtaking views of this mountain road.The guide will lead the way to the best viewpoints, with opportunity to hike and explore the spectacular landscape. Your 4×4 adventures tour concludes with overnight rest in Arieseni.
Thank you for visiting Romania!
* Programs can be modified depending on the weather conditions and tours are customized on request.
**we can add optional adrenaline activities like zip-line, MTB, ATV, horse riding, paragliding, etc
- Bran (Dracula`s) Castle –It is considered to be among the 10 most beautiful medieval castles in the world with a history of over 600 years, which carries the famous legend of Vlad the Impaler (Vlad Tepes). The castle was built by the inhabitants of Brasov in the 14th century for militarily strategic role, in order to protect the mountains pass from the invading Turks. That’s the reason why the inhabitants of Brasov built the Castle on their own work and expenses. Later, the castle became a customs post on the Bran pass between Transylvania and Wallachia.
- Brasov – a commercial and handicraft center of Transylvania since the fourth century, a museum-city of tourist interest where you can visit the Vestiges of the Ancient Citadel of Brasov, Black Church, Schei Romanian School, the oldest school with teaching in Romanian, the first in the three Romanian countries, and the Old Downtown of the city with medieval burg aspect.
- Canyon of Zarnesti- deep and narrow limestone canyon, located near the city of Zarnesti, in Piatra Craiului National Park was formed by the collapses of a cave roof.
- Sighisoara – the historical center of Sighisoara is the most famous inhabited medieval citadel in southeastern Europe. Included in the UNESCO world heritage and situated on the list of protected monuments, the fortress-city hosts dozens of architectural ensembles of Gothic – rural, Renaissance and Baroque styles. A walk through the town’s hilly streets with their original medieval architecture, magical mix of winding cobbled alleys, steep stairways, secluded squares, towers, turrets and enchantingly preserved citadel, is like stepping back in time.
- Transfagarasan Road – the second-highest paved road in Romania (situated at an altitude of 2055 meters above sea level) with the longest road tunnel in the country (887 m) and amazing scenery over the Fagaras Mountains. The road was built as a strategic military route and runs North to South across the highest mountains of Romania. The Top Gear team stated Transfagarasan road” the best road in the world”.
- Izbucul Tauz – the natural reserve declared a natural monument is the largest underwater cave in Romania,with a depth of over 100 meters. It is situated in Garda de Sus village, near the Glacier of Scarisoara. Due to its depth was explored by some of the largest cave in Europe. Here life has lost one of its most tenacious explorers – an experienced diver from Poland – Polish caver Garske Rafal, 4 October 2002. Submerged cave reaches a length of 105 meters and a length of over 400 meters.
- Bears` Cave – was discovered in 1975 during a dynamite made from marble quarry in the area. Bears’ Cave is located the western Apuseni Mountains and received its name after the 140 cave bear skeletons which were discovered on the site in 1983.The cave bear, also known as Ursus spelaeus, is a species of bear which became extinct during the Last Glacial Maximum, about 27,500 years ago. Due to the loss of a rock cave was blocked and more than 140 bears were trapped inside.
- Off-road tours of rare beauty, the optimal choice of 4×4 Tours team to facilitate legal access and in maximum security in wild places with sensational views over Bucegi, Piatra Craiului, Ciucas, Baiului, Postavaru, Piatra Mare, Iezer, Fagaras and Apuseni Mountains.
18 – 23, July , 2018 :
15 – 20, August, 2018
5 – 10, September, 2018
The price is 730 Euro per each 4×4 vehicle.
The 4×4 adventures tour can be made with minimum 3 and maximum 8 off road vehicles.
40% advance payment at booking for reserving the resources and rest within 30 days before departure date.
We reserve the right to cancel the tour with 30 days before departure date if there are not minimum 3 vehicles.
The price includes:
- Tourists assistance services by Romanian Local English guide travelling in a leading support 4×4 vehicle
- Towing and Recovery Equipment
- All fuel and other expenses for the guide vehicle
- All meals for the “4×4 Tours” guide
The price does not include:
- Costs for traveling to/from meeting point – Romania
- Individual fuel and toll costs for every 4×4 vehicle
- Individual accommodation expenses in roof tents
- Optional accommodation in pensions / hotels during the tour (if the group decides to and weather conditions are bad).
- For half board (breakfast and dinner) with accommodations in double twin rooms in 3/4* pensions/hotels the price is 240 EUR / pax / 5 nights.
- Additional fees for single room occupancy – 100 EUR per person / 5 nights
- Individual food and drink expenses. Lunch will be in a local restaurant or as a picnic in nice places
- Servicing expenses by third parties
- Other individual expenses
- Travel insurance specific for the off-road and adventure tourism
- Other optional fees not mentioned in the program
Your vehicle for Transylvania tour should include:
- MT tires (we have very varying terrain)
- A shovel; a compact axe, and a saw
- One or more dynamic ropes for recovery
- Complete personal camping equipment
- 12 V fridge and additional equipment for preparing food
- Additional fuel can with 10-20 l of fuel reserve
- CB radio
You should also consider:
- We expect you to arrive with a vehicle in good technical condition, which can endure a week of demanding off-roading.
- Winch (may speed up recovery in case of problems)
- A moderate lift – at least 2″
- Protective sheets over your paint (if you mind scratching)
- Vehicles with low gear are mandatory for this 4×4 adventures tour in Romania
For other detailed information do not hesitate to contact us.